Monday, May 11, 2015

A Day for Mom





Dean was on call this weekend.  So, while I reflected on moms and being a mother, I also got a good opportunity to be one full time.  There were definitely ups and downs in my parenting skills and energy levels, but I think that's what it's all about.

At a recent Relief Society meeting someone read a blog to us about a woman who used the term "drops of awesome".  It talked about how we beat ourselves up and look at all the negative things we do, even when we're doing something good.  She suggested instead that we take every positive thing and count it as a drop of awesome going into our buckets.  There is no evaporation, and no spilling from the bucket, you can only fill it.  She equated it to how the Atonement fits in our lives and I wish I had listened more and could give you the name of this enlightened blogger, but for now, just know that this "drops of awesome" concept stuck with me.  (I'm sure I could google it and leave the link here, but I have to go take a shower before Sadie wakes up, so I'll let you research it on your own..).

Anyway, the point of this is that I put some drops of awesome in my bucket this weekend.  And, the times I found myself getting overwhelmed, I tried to think about what my next drop of awesomeness was going to be.  There was still yelling, but there was less of it.

So, I wish all of you women out there drops of awesome and leave you with some of my favorite Mother's Day weekend highlights...

- (from Ben's Q&A he brought me from school)
"What do you think your mom was like before she had kids?   - Nice"

- (from Alan's Q&A)
"What kind of stuff is your mom really good at?  - nitting" (obviously knitting, but the "N" totally looks like an "H".  I'm sure his teacher raised an eyebrow)

- Our night out at Mary Poppins where Sadie was so loud and had to go potty so many times we felt compelled to ditch the second act.

- Having all three children awake at 6:15 Sunday morning and in bed with me and Ben suddenly turning to me and asking "what's your favorite breakfast food?  (I lied, and claimed it was cereal to avoid a huge mess, but I still think I deserve a drop of awesome because I complimented him profusely upon delivery.)

Happy Mother's Day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment