Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Clean Routine


A few months ago we had a Relief Society activity about all things clean.  They taught us how to make our own laundry soap and dishwasher detergent, what different cleaners are used for, etc.  At one point in the demonstration a woman leaned over to me and said, skeptically, "are you seriously going to go home and do this? It's gotta be so much easier just to buy a bottle of Tide"

Though I agreed with her about the ease of buying laundry detergent, it was interesting to learn about and there is a satisfaction that comes with making something useful.  I also like knowing what's in the cleaners I use.  I decided not to mention to her that I make my own shower and general household cleaner regularly.

I realized today as I was mixing a batch that I hadn't shared this recipe on here yet even though I've been asked. So, here it is.  (It's also all over the internet in various forms.)

1/2 C hydrogen peroxide
1/2 C white vinegar
1C water
2 Tsp castile soap  (this can be tricky to find, so in a pinch I use ORIGINAL BLUE Dawn)

(I find if I pour 1C hydrogen peroxide,  and 1C vinegar,  into the empty spray bottle, then fill the rest with water, about 2 cups, and add the soap right before I put the lid on it works great.)

Mix it all together in a regular spray bottle and use liberally for all your hard water/soap scum needs. We squeegee our shower after use and then spray it down with this.  Is it gross to admit I haven't "scrubbed" a shower since we moved in?  I use it in the tub, the sinks, the shower liner upstairs, and my favorite... the water dispenser on the fridge.  I've even used it on carpet spills.  Best of all, I'm not afraid for my kids to use it.  They keep one in their shower too and use it regularly.




It's so much better than it was, trust me.


I wasn't sure if it was really making a difference until we left Dean alone last Summer for 7 weeks.  He ran out of cleaner about two weeks in.  Let's just say I was scared to step in the shower when we got back.  I tried cleaning it, but I couldn't get all the nooks and crannies around the door.  Three weeks later, after daily sprayings,  all the crud, hard water, and general nastiness was gone.

What are some of your cleaning hacks?  I'm anxious to find more that are as easy and simple as this. Feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment