Wednesday, June 11, 2014

New Skills


I noticed him walking around with my shoes on two days ago.  When I asked him what he was doing he said, "practicing".  I watched over the next few hours as the tying progressed. I asked him why he was using my shoes and he informed me that the laces where longer than the ones on his shoes.  Finally, after spending literally the whole day working on it he could tie his shoes.


Around the tree...


Through the loop...


And pull tight.

 I am constantly surprised by his sheer determination and willingness to master a new skill when it's something that interests him. I wish I could harness it and use it for some of the things he struggles with, but, like Dean reminds me, tying your shoes is so much more useful than rhyming...and listening. Especially when you're only five.

No comments:

Post a Comment